The Patterson City Council has adopted Municipal Codes or laws specifically designed to address blight, nuisances, and to maintain a clean environment for all citizens in our community.
The overall objective of Code Enforcement is to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. The City of Patterson does this by working in partnership with City residents and business owners by applying a fair and unbiased enforcement program designed to increase public awareness of City's Municipal Codes (e.g. property maintenance, public nuisance violation(s), abandoned vehicle(s), zoning, etc.) and to facilitate the correction of said code violations as they arise.
The following are some common code violations:
- Building Code violations such as construction without permits; including but not limited to room additions, garage conversions, construction of patio covers, re-roofs, electrical, plumbing and mechanical improvements such as water heater installations and HVAC installations.
- Accumulation of junk and debris in public view in residential and commercial areas.
- Unpermitted businesses in residential neighborhoods.
- Inoperable or abandoned vehicles on private property.
- Zoning violations for structures and land use requirements, including the use of the structure, size and location.
- Hazardous and overgrown vegetation which can be a fire hazard.
- Vacant and unsecured properties.
- Parking violations on unimproved surfaces such as landscaped areas.
- Commercial tenant improvements without permits; including but not limited to installation of interior walls or additions and electrical, plumbing and mechanical improvements such as water heater installations and HVAC installations.
Although it is a goal of the City to be responsive to the needs of the residents of our community, there are some neighborhood issues that are not addressed by any adopted codes or do not fall under our jurisdiction. The following are not enforced by Code Enforcement as they are considered civil issues for which the City has no jurisdiction:
- Property line disputes;
- Trees (roots or branches) on private property that overhang or encroach upon a neighboring private property, or cause damage to a neighboring private property; and
- Neighbor disputes or civil disputes that do not violate adopted codes; or
- Situations which are not specifically address in the Patterson Municipal Code.
- The City does not referee tenant-landlord disputes, theses are best resolved between the tenant and the landlord or the property owner. Assistance and additional information about your rights and responsibilities can be obtained by contacting the following agencies:
CA Department of Consumer Affairs
Information for both tenants and landlords
916-445-1254 or 1-800-952-5210
CA Department of Fair Employment and Housing
Information related to housing discrimination
If you have any questions or concerns regarding City code violations, please call 209-895-8038 or email us, and one of our staff members will assist you.
1 Plaza, 2nd Floor
Patterson CA 95363
Graffiti Abatement Hotline